Partners in Public Health Preparedness
A successful response to a public health emergency relies on two important factors: Partnerships and preparedness.
During a public health emergency, the public may be directed to open community Points of Dispensing sites (PODs) where they will receive lifesaving medications to prevent disease and death. PODs are strategically placed throughout the county in large areas like school parking lots, faith centers and event grounds. By becoming a partner with the Office of Preparedness and Response (OPR), you help meet the important public health mission of saving lives.
Volunteer Partners support public health emergencies in Maricopa County by:
- Dispensing life-saving medications at Points of Dispensing sites
- Operating in call centers for the Public Health Incident Command Center
- Participating in preparedness events year round
Open POD Partners
Schools, churches and community centers can plan with OPR to dispense lifesaving medications in their neighborhoods to the general public. OPR provides all the training and supplies needed to run the POD. Volunteers provide some additional staffing.
To sign up as an Open POD Partner, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Open POD”
Municipalities, Hospitals, Utilities and other critical infrastructures need to continue operations during a public health emergency. Traditionally, workers would have to leave their job function to go pick up lifesaving medications but with a Closed POD Partnership, workers get their medications at the office. Closed POD Partnerships allow for continuity of operations during a public health emergency. In addition, many businesses will benefit from the volunteer match and corporate social responsibility opportunities that come with a partnership. There are three Closed POD categories.
To sign up as a Closed POD Partner, email email@example.com with the subject line “Closed POD”
Closed POD Critical Partner
Municipalities, Hospitals, Utilities and other designated critical infrastructures
- Provide lifesaving medications to employees and some clients during a public health emergency
- Keep important civil services running
- Enhance their continuity of operations plans
Closed POD Business Partner
Businesses with more than 5,000 employees
- Lifesaving medications are delivered to the business for dispensing to employees and families
- Partner with MCDPH for whole community planning and Corporate Social Responsibility programs
- Reduces the number of people waiting at public locations
Closed Community POD Partner
HOAs, Closed or Masterplan Communities
- Work with MCDPH to plan for public health emergencies at the local level
- Run PODs in their neighborhoods and communities