Mission, Goals & Student Learning Outcomes
What Are the Mission & Goals of the Maricopa County Department of Public Health Dietetic Internship?
The mission of the Maricopa County Department of Public Health Dietetic Internship program is "To provide a quality public health/community nutrition education program through which dietetic interns develop the skills to translate nutrition theory and knowledge into effective application and practice to meet the needs of a diverse population. Planned experience and educational opportunities of the internship will prepare program graduates to sit for the CDR Registration Examination for Dietitians and enter the profession as entry-level Registered Dietitian Nutritionists."
Goals of the Dietetic Internship:
- Prepare quality graduates who have met the core competencies as defined by ACEND and public health concentration competencies to take the CDR Registration Examination for Dietitians.
- At least 80% of interns will successfully complete the Dietetic Internship.
- At least 80% of graduates will take the CDR credentialing exam within 12 months of completing the program.
- At least 80% of graduates will pass the CDR credentialing exam within one year of their first attempt.
- At least 70% of graduates seeking employment will have obtained employment in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of completing the program.
- Prepare graduates to meet employer expectations as entry-level practitioners.
- 80% or more of employers will evaluate graduates as good or excellent in the overall preparedness for entry-level practice, professionalism, communication, collaboration/compatibility, critical thinking, and problem solving.
- Contribute to diversity in the dietetics profession by increasing the number of multicultural and bilingual graduates.
- No less than 20% of interns will be ethnically and culturally diverse.
- No less than 20% of interns will be bilingual.
Program outcomes data available upon request.
What Are the Student Learning Outcomes for the Program?
- Outcome Number 1: Graduates will demonstrate the ability to integrate scientific information and research into the practice of dietetics.
- Outcome Number 2: Graduates will develop beliefs, values, attitudes and behaviors for the professional dietitian nutritionist level of practice.
- Outcome Number 3: Graduates will demonstrate the ability to develop and deliver information, products and services to individuals, groups and populations.
- Outcome Number 4: Graduates will demonstrate the ability to strategically apply principles of management and systems in order to provide services to individuals and organizations.